Barry D. Kass is a Professor Emeritus of Anthropology at Orange County Community
College, S. U. N. Y., where he has taught various courses in anthropology, sociology, and
human geography for more than fifty years. He has conducted archaeological field work in
the American Southwest, and was a U. S. National Park Ranger--Archaeologist at Mesa
Verde National Park in Colorado. Professor Kass has traveled extensively through Africa,
Central and South America, The United States, Europe and Israel, and has taken thousands
of photographs of traditional and modern people and cultures, archaeological sites, and
natural history. He has recently earned a Certificate in Digital Photography and Adobe
Photoshop from the New York Institute of Photography in New York City.
Kass' photographs have appeared in such publications as::
- Webster, Evans, and Sanders: Out of the Past--An Introduction to Archaeology
( Mayfield 1993 )
- Feder: The Past in Perspective--An Introduction to Human Prehistory 3d ed.
( McGraw-Hill 2004 )
- Peoples and Bailey: Humanity--An Introduction to Cultural Anthropology 7th ed.
( Wadsworth 2005 )
- B. Muckle: Introducing Archaeology, ist ed. ( Broadview Press, 2006 )
- Wenke and Oszewski: Patterns in Prehistory, 5th ed. (Oxford U. Press, 2006 )
- Price and Feinman: Images of the Past, 5th ed. ( McGraw-Hill, 2007 )
- J. Woodfork: Cultures and Customs of the Central African Republic (Greenwood
Press, 2006 )
- B. Miller, Cultural Anthropology, 4th. ed. ( Pearson, Allyn&Bacon Longman, 2007 )
- A. Cremin, chief consultant: The World Encyclopedia of Archaeology: the World's
Most Significant Sites and Cultural Resources ( Globel Book Publishing, Sydney,
Australia 2007 )
- J. Eller: Cultural Anthropology: A Global Introduction 1st ed. ( Routledge 2009 )
- Nanda / Warms: Cultural Anthropology 10th ed.( Wadsworth/Cengage 2009 )
- B. Muckle: Indigenous Peoples of North America--A Concise Anthropological
Overview (Univ. of Toronto Press 2012)
- B. Muckle: Introducing Archaeology 2nd. ed. (U. of Toronto Press 2014)
- Robert Muckle and Laura Gonzalez: Through the Lens of Anthropology-An
Introduction to Human Evolution and Culture ( U. of Toronto Press 2015)
- Lincoln and Lee Taiz: Flora Unveiled: The Discovery and Denial of Sex in Plants
(Oxford U. Press 2016)
- Laura Gonzalez: Through the Lens of Cultural Anthropology (U. of Toronto Press
Kass has also organized and contributed to the photographic image bank for the
Thomson/Wadsworth Higher Education On-Line Anthropology Resource Center.
An exhibit of Kass' Best of Images of Anthropology photo collection has been displayed
in the offices of the American Anthropological Association in Arlington, Virginia.
About the Photographers
Barry Kass standing next to his photograph of
Machu Picchu, displayed in the "Gold in the
Americas" exhibit at the Museum of Civilization in
Quebec City, also on display at the Museum of
Natural History in Paris, France
Serena Nanda is a Professor Emeritus of Anthropology in the Dept. of Anthropology at John
Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY, where she taught from 1974-1997. She earned her
Ph.D. from NYU in 1973. Her major publications include:
1. 2009 Culture Counts: Essentials of Cultural Anthropology (with Richard Warms):
2. 2006 Cultural Anthropology 9th ed. Revised. (with Richard Warms): Wadsworth.
3. 2000 Gender Diversity: Cross Cultural Variations: Waveland Press.
4. 1999 Neither Man nor Woman: The Hijras of India 2nd ed. 1990 1st ed.: Wadsworth
As the recipient of the 1990 Ruth Benedict Prize in Anthropology, Prof. Nanda's ground
breaking study of the Hijas of India was recognized by the American Anthropological
Association. Her vivid and unique photographs of India and other locales in Southeast Asia
displayed on this website clearly reveal an 'anthropological' sensitivity towards the diverse
people and places she experienced while in the field.
Barry D. Kass
Site Developer and photographer
Lee with his wife Debbie in Egypt
Lee Hunter is Professor of Sociology at Orange County Community College where he specializes in
U.S. social problems. He took up photography only after finally earning enough income to afford a
camera. He has traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, China, Peru, Ecuador, England, France, and
Egypt photographing birds and ancient sites. His daughter, Risë, is a Quaker educator in
Monteverde, Costa Rica so there have been many trips to that special nation. The perfect country
has beautiful old architecture and colorful exotic birds.
Lee Hunter earned his Master’s Degree in humanistic psychology at West Georgia College and his
doctorate in sociology of education at Boston University.
Finalist! in the American Anthropological
Association's 2008 photo contest.
Finalist! In the American Anthropological
Association's 2009 photo contest.
Winner! in the American Anthropological
Association's 2012 photo contest.
"Avena Matondang lives in Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia. Has a lineage with the Batak
Mandailing, Matondang clan that accompanies the name of a proof of Batak blood flows in his blood
Completed undergraduate education in anthropology, department of anthropology at the University of
North Sumatra and then continued his education in graduate anthropology at State University of
Medan. Has an interest in visual anthropology studies that have demonstrated the resolve of
Gordang Sambilan video ethnography in Medan as his undergragraduate final project.
Has conducted research on video-ethnography, ethno-acoustic, and ethnographic photography as
well and has produced several works of video ethnography : Bomberman/2007, Gordang
Sambilan/2008, The Last Gondang/2010 as well as a series of ethno-photography North Sumatra -
Research focuses on the art and ritual culture in North Sumatra, in addition teaching visual
anthropology at the department of anthropology, faculty of social and politic, North Sumatra University
(USU) 2007-2009. Currently active as a researcher in several research activities on various
Dan Kass is a Computer Science major at Tufts University in
Medford, Mass. He is a photographer and avid traveller who
has visited such countries as Israel, Italy, Turkey, Egypt and
Peru. He has published photos in such publications as:
1. Merriam Webster Elementary School Dictionary, 1st ed.
(Merriam Webster Pub./ 2008)
2. What Your Year 2 Child Needs to Know--Fundamentals of a
Good Year 2 Education ed. E. D. Hirsch, Jr. (Civitas Pub./2012)